Saturday, July 12, 2008

Scottish Pride

Today we had the honor of attending the Payson Scottish Festival. This is a free event complete with a parade. . . . . .



Opening Ceremonies. . . .

And some people that are really into it. . . .

don't they look great?!?!

Jay has gone to this for the past three years. This is my first year, though. I've been missing out! Lately, I feel that Jay has been frustrated that we don't enjoy the same types of things. I can honestly say I enjoyed this even as much as he did.

The parade is really short. . . the bagpipe "bands" march up the street and around the corner where they line up for the opening ceremonies. They play songs as they pass. . . . I enjoyed it so much. There is something about live bagpipe music that always, always makes me cry! I don't even feel the tears coming. . .they just start streaming down my face. I've heard bagpipes live about 5 times now. . . . same effect every time.

The opening ceremonies is (according to Jay, and it's so fitting, I'll use it here) "hair-raising". I definitely got goose bumps when the soloist did "Amazing Grace" and then after the first verse the entire field errupted in the chorus. . . . it was fabulous!!

There are booths all over the park and most of them are "clan" related. There was one there that was named "Clan Forsyth" - I believe this is where our last name originated. . . .it was fun to talk to the man there - he is an expert on the Forsyth line stories. We learned a lot and I can't wait to find out from Jay's parents what they know about the link there.

Some of the booths sell the Scottish kilts and souvenirs and other stuff. . . . Thanks to the couple in the fabulous costumes, we'll probably be looking for some authentic Scottish clothing to wear next year.

There is also a Scottish festival at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi - we'd have to pay to get in but we'll definitely plan on going there next June!

I had a wonderful day and even though the kids were ready to leave way before Jay and I, we felt the Scottish pride that was generated there. . . how exciting to be a part of that for a day!!!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I wish I could have gone and looked up more information on the McLaughlin clan.