Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Life on a "Farm"

It's almost time to start hunting and collecting our winter heat source. Here are a couple of picures from last year. . . . .


This is Jay using the log splitter that we rented. We all spent the whole day outside splitting and piling wood . . .


This is the nice pile of wood we collected that kept us semi-warm all winter long. . . Ok, we didn't freeze, but I definitely didn't go anywhere without a few layers. Since I'm the only girl, I get a lot of crap when I'm cold that it "must be a girl thing". . . I highly doubt that I'm the only one cold when the inside of the house warms up to a whopping 50 degrees (Jay. . . you know I'm telling the truth!)


A moment of silence for Randy. He was hatched last year and sent to us through mail order from our local farm store. He was supposed to be a girl. We learned that the GORGEOUS tail feathers come with some pretty nasty personality traits. Once Jay found out that his baby girl (me :) ) and his baby boy (David) were afraid to go in the backyard, he offered Randy to a nice visiting African man who knew exactly what to do with nasty birds. I wish I could say I miss him. . . .Rest in peace, Randy!


Our boys are very good with the chickens. Today, Elijah reported 44 eggs recovered from the chicken coop. We love giving eggs away almost as much as we love eating them!


Of course, no farm would be complete without a carcass or two around. . . here's Jay with a freshly slaughtered deer carcass. (No, the LA man didn't kill the animal himself. . . it was a gift - if you can believe that!) ~Em

2 comments:

Liz said...

I love this post!

Jess said...

Those are awesome picture.