Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dog for a Weekend?

I think it's true what they say about people being either "Cat-People" or "Dog-People". Personally, I grew up with both - sometimes at the same time. Once I had children, something weird happened. I started to get irritated at the dog that I grew up with . . . I found that any attention he demanded just grated on my nerves. Since I had babies of my own, I've learned that I prefer cats with their self-bathing, self-entertaining, self-exercising, and self-feeding ways.

This weekend I got the rare treat of babysitting the Thompson dog instead of the Thompson kids. Here is a picture of us driving home to Nephi. He wouldn't look my in the eye. Only straight ahead or out the window. It was pretty funny. Harvey is a good dog - I'm just not a "Dog-Person". I think Liz was worried that it would bother me beyond control, but it's been ok.

Friday morning, Jay walked in to check on the boys really early. Harvey was in his kennel and started to growl at Jay. He wouldn't stop and it woke the boys much earlier than we wanted them to get up. Jay had to turn on the light and open the kennel. Harvey was so cute - he came out with his tail between his legs - head down and wagging his tail in a really meek "I'm sorry. . still waking up and didn't recognize you or remember where I am" kind of a way. . . . it was pretty cute.

Elijah has been taking really good care of Harvey. He's been combing out the "dreadlocks" that Aunt Liz mentioned when I picked Harvey up - Elijah thinks they're getting better. :) He takes him on walks every day and makes sure he eats and has plenty of water. Aunt Liz couldn't have asked a better person to take care of Harvey.

Elijah is our son that is always asking for a dog. He'd say he was an "Animal-Person" - not partial to one particular kind. . . . My personal bonus this weekend is the comment Elijah made after getting Harvey un-stuck from his rope in the backyard for the third time in 30 minutes. . . .he said, "This dog is changing my mind about having a dog".

YES!!!! So thanks, David and Liz (Liz is the "Dog-Person") for this eye-opening experience into the care that goes into a dog. . . .so that Elijah can compare that with the care a cat takes.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Haha! I love it! That is a great post. I love that picture too. Hilarious! Thanks again for watching him. :) I knew he would be in good hands.