Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jokester Jay

One of my favorite things about Jay is his humor. It charmed me in the beginning and I still find myself laughing until the tears roll down my face!

Here is his latest idea for a practical joke. Every year in Nephi, we have a big county fair. It's a pretty big deal. The locals all enter their prize animals, from pigs to cows to chickens to bunnies. It's a typical county fair, but it means more to our locals because there isn't much else to do around here. It's a farming community, so farm animals are a big part of life. There are also artsy entries, crafty entries, and garden entries.

To enter an animal in the fair, you have to pay a fee, put it in a cage and write up a tag so that everyone knows whose animal it is and what kind of animal it is.

Last night Jay tells me that he is going to enter one of our chickens in the fair. I knew he's been wanting to do this for a while, so that didn't surprise me. What caught me completely off guard was which one he wanted to enter. We received a few chickens from a neighbor that were picking on each other. . . .I won't say much more than that because you can see for yourself:


When he told me this was the chicken he wanted to enter, I was baffled. . . this was supposed to be a "best in show" kind of a thing. This poor chicken shouldn't even have its picture taken, much less be in a contest of any kind.

Then Jay tells me that he's going to put it in the fair and on the ticket, he's going to write someone else's name. We spent the next few minutes laughing so hard picturing the chicken among all the beautiful specimens that people work so hard on. . . . and then the tears rolled down our faces when we tried to picture what would happen next based on who he had picked (for those of you who know our neighbors, it was a toss up between Jamison and Will. . .. can you imagine!?)

I convinced him not to do this. . . . while we would have a lot of fun with this, I explained that because the county fair is such a big deal here, people tend to take it very seriously. . . and while our neighbors have great senses of humor, it could backfire pretty bad. . . . but we had a fun time imaging it all!

5 comments:

Clinton Painter said...

My vote is for Will!

Jay said...

That is hilarious! That poor chicken! Jay is always keeping us laughing too. We love him! You guys are great.

Jess said...

I think it's a great idea. Would you have claimed it in the end?

Natasha said...

Whew! Am I ever glad you decided against this great idea! I think you would have been lynched! The county fair is MUCH too serious for this kind of folly. And just for future reference, there is no way they would have let you enter that chicken. They would have told you to go home and try again next year.

Anonymous said...

That totally made me laugh. What a funny idea. -I'm glad you found my blog.